Saturday, October 6, 2012

Back to the basics...

Hello to all my blog followers!! Many apologies - as it has been over 2 months since my sister or myself have written. :'( So our promise to you is to ensure that we are keeping up to date with our latest shenanigans!

About 1 week ago I decided that my body and my mind needed a complete overhaul from the stress induced environment I have been in lately. My sister started it a week prior and she is feeling incredible. What we started was a cleanse - not a detox as you would think. It is a complete cleanse of anything that promotes inflammation within the body. So yes, this means I have given up coffee! (Everyone beware). Just kidding ;) The cleanse also prohibits sugar, salt, processed foods and dairy. It's very much like the Paleo diet - vegetables, lean protein, complex carbs (meaning legumes and brown rice). My water intake has increased to just about a gallon a day, sounds easy enough to drink that much, right? Well, let's put it this way; 1 gallon of water is equal to 128ounces. That's tough, but a mix of herbal teas, water in between meals and some energy mixes has made it easier. In doing this cleanse, I have been introducing myself to new ways of cooking my food and new recipes. I just may even have a cook book by the time I am through with this. And so I am writing to not only share that so far I am feeling better, but also one of my favorite things I have cooked thus far.

It is baked sweet potato with onions and sauteed chicken in garlic infused extra virgin olive oil:
 

Here is what you will need:

1 Organic large sweet potato
1 Organic sweet onion
1 Package of boneless, skinless chicken breast (Trader Joes has a good selection of hormone free, free range, no antibiotics chicken). 
2 Tablespoons of garlic infused extra virgin olive oil 
1 Tablespoon of Oregano
1 Teaspoon of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 Teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic 

1-gallon ziploc bag
Baking sheet
Small frying pan or wak

How to make it:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your sweet potato as you will leave the skin on. It is so thin and there are many added health benefits to eating it. Cut the potato in thin, round slices. Then take those slices and cut them into quarter pieces and empty into the ziploc bag. Chop your onion and add to the potatoes.  Add 1 tablespoon of the garlic EVOO, and the rest of the spices to the mix. Shake up the bag. Line your baking sheet with either parchment paper or aluminum foil and empty the contents of the ziploc onto the baking sheet. Spread evenly so the potatoes and onions are covering the entire surface. Place in the oven on the middle rack for about 25-30 minutes. (I have found that baking them for 28 minutes in a gas stove is the best - it gives them the perfect texture and takes that raw crunch out). While this is baking; add the remaining EVOO to your frying pan or wak, and place burner on medium heat. Cut up the chicken into thin slices; it cooks faster this way - but you can cook as desired. (Be sure to wash your hands and the counter where you just cut the raw chicken; safety first). Add the cut up chicken to the frying pan and season to taste. Add the minced garlic cloves. I added more oregano to the chicken. You want to cook the chicken after the potato and onion mix are in the oven as it does not take as long to cook. The chicken should be thoroughly cooked within 18-20 minutes; but timing may vary depending on your stove. The best way to check is to cut one of your bigger pieces in half and make sure there is no sign of pink. The juices need to run clear - and a cooking thermometer is also very useful. Once cooked, serve :)

This yields between 2 and 3 servings. 

This recipe is packed with many nutritional benefits and is also very tasty. I hope you all get a chance to try this. There are many alternative foods that you can substitute if you're not able to eat sweet potatoes or are vegan! You could use butternut squash and/or zucchini as an alternative to the sweet potato and firm tofu for the chicken. All just as delicious and something I just may have to make tomorrow!

Thank you all for reading...off to tend to the chicken drumsticks I currently have simmering in the crock pot...

Twinspiration

Love and Wellness to all

Patti xox

1 comment:

  1. Just might have to try that recipe tomorrow! With butternut squash of course :-). Welcome back to the blogosphere. And congratulations on this next step of taking your health more into your hands. Very cool, you two!

    ReplyDelete